ESPN’s Adam Schefter made a bold prediction on Thursday that has NFL buzzing.
“I would like to record something here, on February 24th. Two months from the draft. And tell you who the number one pick is gonna be right now… When all is said and done, that the Rams’ number one pick on April 22nd, two months from now, will be Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. I’m willing to take all bets on that one right now.”
I’ve had Bradford going to the Rams in my mock draft for the past two weeks, and for most of the offseason for that matter. I told a friend the other day that I think there is a 90 percent chance that the Rams take Bradford, 9 percent chance its Ndamukong Suh, and 1 percent chance someone else.
Normally I don’t put any stock in what I hear from TV’s talking heads in terms of draft rumors at this time of the year. It is far too early to make any definitive statements on the draft. However, I’m inclined to believe Schefter has some reliable sources on this report for two reasons:
1. Schefter rarely goes out on a limb. He isn’t always right (no reporter is) but he seems to do a much better job than some of his counterparts at sorting out the crap he’s fed from front offices from the legitimate stories. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard him make a statement as bold as this, meaning he must have a pretty good reason to believe he’s right.
2. The Rams are the only team capable of making a decision this early. I would dismiss a rumor connecting any other player to any other team in February, but the Rams have the ability to make their selection whenever they want. I’m sure the Rams will wait until Bradford’s March 25th workout before truly settling on him, but it isn’t unreasonable to think that they’re strongly leaning his direction.